Monday- Grammar and vocabulary introduced in class and assigned
Tuesday- Vocabulary sentences due on Edmodo
Thursday- Vocabulary assignment on Edmodo due, grammar packet due
Friday- Vocabulary and grammar quizzes
Resources to review can be found in the folder on our Edmodo class page or by clicking here. If your student needs help keeping track of these due dates, remember to reference this weekly schedule and suggested plan.
Students with numbers 13-24 have their next reading response letters due Friday, May 10. Vlogs for students 13-24 will be due on Friday, May 10. The directions, topic choices, and rubric for assessing them can be found here. Additional topic ideas can be found here.
As the temperatures have started to increase over the last couple of weeks, so have the number of late and missing assignments in our class. Please encourage your child to reference his/her assignment notebook and/or check Edmodo nightly to ensure that they are staying on top of their assignments. We want to make sure that we are finishing the year off strong! Thank you for your support in assisting in your child’s academic success.
Wagon trains are nearing the end of their journey on the Hacker Trail in our Pioneers simulation. Challenge project options were posted to Edmodo or can be found here. These are optional projects that students may complete, but points earned from these projects will help wagon trains move more quickly on the Hacker Trail. Students may complete multiple projects if they wish. All project are due by Friday, May 10. We will be taking a final Pioneers test on Thursday, May 9. Students will put together a visual study guide in class on Wednesday.
Friday folders will be coming home today. Please review your student’s work with him/her and return the signed, empty Friday folder on Monday.
MAP reports are also being sent home today. Be sure to look for those!
Please remember to return your permission slip for the Bears Mini Clinic ASAP. Below is a note from Mr. Gries regarding this special event:
Hello 5th grade parents,
We have an exciting opportunity for your children to increase their fitness on May 7, 2019 in the afternoon. The Chicago Bears would like to host a Mini Monster Clinic at Dryden. To host the clinic I need:
- 7 more adult volunteers (not teachers whose students are participating) who are able to help us run drills for the students. Volunteers must be there 30 minutes BEFORE the clinic begins. Their staff will run through the drills with you.
- You would have to be at Dryden by 1:00PM as the clinic begins at 1:30PM, it will end at 3:00PM.
- If you would like to volunteer please send an email to email@example.com by April 30, 2019.
- If I receive more than 12 volunteers I will pull names from a hat.
- If you have any questions please let me know.
Please sign them & return to me ASAP. If a student does not have a signed waiver he/she will not be able to participate.
As a reminder, students will have their final Robert Crown Presentation: Life Begins, on Friday, May 10th.
Spring is a busy time for 5th grade! Here are some upcoming events to note:
- Bears Mini Clinic- Tuesday, May 7 (1:30-3:00)
- 5th Grade Band Concert - Tuesday, May 7 (7 pm, students report at 6pm)
- 5th Grade Track Meet (optional for all 5th graders in the district)- Wednesday, May 8 (traditionally this starts around 4:00)
- 6th Grade Orientation at South- Wednesday, May 8 (6:30 pm)
- Robert Crown Life Begins Presentation- Friday, May 10
- 5th Grade Musical- Wednesday, May 29
- Field Day- Friday, June 7
- Last day of school- Monday, June 10
A message from the AHPD about Rockin with the Cops!
Applications for Rockin With the Cops 2019, Thursday, June 6, 7-10 PM at Pioneer Park, are now available on the Village of Arlington Heights website through the following link:
The only way to apply is to bring the completed application to the main desk at the Police Department at 200 E. Sigwalt, AH.
I’ve attached a poster of the event to this email as well. Please advertise this event at your schools, it’s open to current 5th graders and we accept the 1st 250 applications, it always fills up. Rockin With the Cops is a free event and a great night for the kids. It’s a pool party with a DJ, free pizza, games, raffle and a K-9 demo.
Officer Rick Veenstra
School Resource Officer
Arlington Heights Police Department