As a reminder, Scholastic book orders are due on October 15th. You can send in a paper order, or order online with the class code. Our class code to order online is QKRZL.
For the next two weeks we will take a break from our vocabulary and grammar routines due to days off, field trips, etc. There will be no vocabulary or grammar assignments or quizzes the week of 10/8 or 10/15. We will resume the normal routines the week of 10/22.
My math class has all been given login information for XtraMath.org. Students should have their PIN, which is a four digit number, taped inside their assignment notebooks. The teacher email to use is firstname.lastname@example.org. Students are strongly encouraged to practice their facts, as so many of the 5th grade skills rely on a certain automaticity of these facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). When students are slowed down by counting on their fingers or using repeated addition vs multiplication, it hinders their work in multi-step problems. We will continue to reinforce these facts in class, but even an extra 5-10 minutes at home a few times each week can make a big difference! We are looking at taking the chapter 2 test on Thursday, October 11th.
Students with class numbers 13-23 have their next reading response letters due Friday, October 12th. These letters should be completed in students' reading response spreadsheets in their school Google accounts.
My class will be taking the Ch 12 History Alive assessment on Friday, October 12th. Students will receive a study guide next week and can begin reviewing at any time using the online resources posted to Edmodo.
Students do not have school on Friday, October 5th or Monday, October 8th. We come back on Tuesday, October 9th to go to our field trip to Camp Duncan. Here are some things to remember (we will also email these reminders next weekend):
- We will be leaving first thing Tuesday morning. Please be sure your student arrives to school on time this day.
- We will be arriving back to Dryden approximately 6:00-6:30pm. Mrs. Sessler will update parents through School Messenger if this time varies. Please arrange your student's transportation home ahead of time, as they will not be able to call for pick up when we return. As it will likely be getting dark around this time, we are asking that all students have an adult pick them up when we return.
- We will be outdoors for the entire day. Please remind your student to dress for the weather. Students MUST wear long pants and gym shoes due to the number of activities that take place in wooded areas. Students should wear their 5th grade t-shirts, but should also be sure to bring a warmer layer or two as the morning will likely be cooler. In the event of rain, we may still do many activities outside, so please be sure to watch the weather and send appropriate gear. If there are thunderstorms, we will move to alternate indoor activities.
- Students need to bring a completely disposable sack lunch, unless one was ordered on the permission slip. Water will be available for students between activities, so they should not bring water bottles to carry throughout the day. We will not have a morning or afternoon snack, so please remind your student to pack a lunch that will sustain him/her for the day.
- Students should not bring cell phones or backpacks to school on Tuesday. They will not be allowed on the trip, and students will not have access to the classrooms upon our return.
Over the next two weeks the air conditioning will be turned off and the heat will be turned on. We strongly encourage students to wear/bring layers as the temperatures fluctuate.
Beginning next week the 5th grade students will be taking the CogAT tests. You can find more information about these tests here. We will be testing 10/11 @ 1:15pm, 10/16 @ 9:10am, and 10/17 @ 2:30pm. Make-ups will be scheduled on an as-needed basis.
A note from the LMC about our upcoming author visit:
October 12, 2018
Dryden is very excited to host Megan McDonald, author of several popular series including Judy Moody, Stink, and The Sisters Club. She also has written a number of picture books and for the American Girl series. McDonald will share stories, a short presentation and her new book Judy Moody and the Right Royal Tea Party, on October 12th.
You can purchase personalized, signed copies of Judy Moody and the Right Royal Tea Party and other titles ahead of time. Please send order forms and payment back to school by Thursday, October 4th for guaranteed delivery on Oct. 12th. Orders received next week can likely be available that day, but may have a signed bookplate and receive their book afterwards.
Order form: https://tinyurl.com/ycvrcul6
Have a great long weekend!