Things are really getting rolling next week! Here are some updates for what's ahead...
- Tuesday we will be kicking off our vocabulary and grammar routine. Here is the breakdown for that routine for this coming week:
Tuesday- all assignments given (vocabulary sentences, vocabulary assignment on Edmodo, grammar packet)
Wednesday- vocabulary sentences due (can be submitted on Edmodo or paper)
Thursday- vocabulary assignment (10 questions) on Edmodo due, grammar packet due
Friday- vocabulary and grammar quizzes
Resources to review this week's vocabulary prefix can be found here or in the Quizlet folder on our Edmodo class page.
- Wednesday we will be taking a quiz reviewing the 6 signposts for fiction we've been working on in class. Students have been taking notes in their reading binders and have example texts. The quiz will require students to match the definition to each signpost and to find 2 signposts in their independent reading books. Resources to review the signposts can be found here and will be posted to Edmodo, as well.
- Thursday is the Chapter 10 social studies test. This assessment will be on Edmodo, so students will be able to get feedback on many of the questions right away. Resources to review have been posted to the 5th grade page on Edmodo (Mr. Holston posted the review playlist for everyone) or it can be found here. We had a lot of fun this week learning about some of the acts and events that led to the Revolutionary War. The students created skits to help them understand them better. Check the twitter feed on the homepage for some pictures of the performances!
- Friday, students with numbers 1-12 will have their first reading response letters due. These letters are completed in students' Google Drive accounts. We set up a spreadsheet this past week, so students can just search "reading response" in their Drive accounts to find it. They should complete their entries in the cell underneath where they did the practice entry. The schedule of due dates can be found here; I will also include reminders in the weekly update each week and will have due dates noted on the homework board in class, as well.
- My math class is nearing the end of Chapter 1. I am anticipating the first test will be September 7 or September 10.
- Fifth grade t-shirt order forms will be coming home soon! Please return your form and payment as soon as possible to ensure the t-shirts arrive in time for Camp Duncan.
- Permission slips for our field trip to Naper Settlement will be coming home soon, as well. Please return your permission slip and payment as soon as possible. If cost is a concern for your family, please don't hesitate to reach out to Mrs. Sessler or me. We want all students to be able to enjoy this experience without placing undue stress on families.
- If you signed up for a parent account with Edmodo, you are probably getting A LOT of notifications in your inbox. You can adjust the notifications by going to "settings" right above where you would log out and then go to "notifications" on the left hand side. You can turn notifications for different types of posts on or off based on your preferences. I will post daily assignments in a note to the class. If your student is in in my math class, they will have two different assignment notes- one for math and one for our homeroom class (reading, social studies, language arts, etc). If your student is in Mr. Holston's math class, they will need to check with him for the nightly homework in addition to what is posted for our homeroom class.
Tips for Logging Into Accounts
***All log-ins can be found in the front of your student's assignment notebook.
- IXL- Students should go to this site to log in. If they go to the general IXL site, they will need to type in the "@dryden" part after their usernames.
- Edmodo- Students use their Google username and password to log in. This information can be found in the front of your student's assignment notebook. Click on login with Google to login. Make sure you add @student.sd25.org.
- Google- Students use their Google username with @student.sd25.org after it. Their password is the same as the one for Edmodo.