We will resume our vocabulary and grammar routines next week.
Monday- Grammar and vocabulary introduced in class and assigned
Tuesday- Vocabulary sentences due on Edmodo
Thursday- Vocabulary assignment on Edmodo due, grammar packet due
Friday- Vocabulary and grammar quizzes
Resources to review can be found in the folder on our Edmodo class page or by clicking here. If your student needs help keeping track of these due dates, remember to reference this weekly schedule and suggested plan.
We’ll be starting Chapter 13 in my math class next week. This chapter will cover the following sections: 13.1, 13.3, and 13.5.
We’re wrapping up our poetry unit this week. Students will be completing a study guide on Monday and we will have our unit test on Wednesday.
Students with numbers 1-12 have their next reading response letters due Friday, May 3. Vlogs for students 13-24 will be due on Friday, May 3. The directions, topic choices, and rubric for assessing them can be found here. Additional topic ideas can be found here.
Wagon trains continue to move along the Hacker Trail in our Pioneers simulation. Challenge project options were posted to Edmodo or can be found here. These are optional projects that students may complete, but points earned from these projects will help wagon trains move more quickly on the Hacker Trail. Students may complete multiple projects if they wish.
From Mr. Gries:
Hello 5th grade parents,
We have an exciting opportunity for your children to increase their fitness on May 7, 2019 in the afternoon. The Chicago Bears would like to host a Mini Monster Clinic at Dryden. To host the clinic I need:
- 7 more adult volunteers (not teachers whose students are participating) who are able to help us run drills for the students. Volunteers must be there 30 minutes BEFORE the clinic begins. Their staff will run through the drills with you.
- You would have to be at Dryden by 1:00PM as the clinic begins at 1:30PM, it will end at 3:00PM.
- If you would like to volunteer please send an email to email@example.com by April 30, 2019.
- If I receive more than 12 volunteers I will pull names from a hat.
- If you have any questions please let me know.
Also waivers that need to be signed will be coming home Tuesday. Please sign them & return to me ASAP. If a student does not have a signed wavier he/she will not be able to participate.
SD25 Middle Schools kicked off their 2019 Summer Reading Program, "Reach For the Stars," this month. Current 5th, 6th, and 7th grade students are expected to read one book from this year's list, but we are hoping students will choose to read several! Students previewed the books and learned about the summer reading program on April 18 when Mrs. O'Kelly from the South LMC visited their classrooms. You can take a look at the list and find out more information here. Books can be purchased through SMS using this order form. All forms are due to your home school's LMC by 5/1/2019 and books will be delivered to students before summer break. Books can also be found at your public library or on Amazon.
Rockin' With the Cops
Applications for Rockin With the Cops 2019, Thursday, June 6, 7-10 PM at Pioneer Park, are now available on the Village of Arlington Heights website through the following link:
The only way to apply is to bring the completed application to the main desk at the Police Department at 200 E. Sigwalt, AH.
I’ve attached a poster of the event to this email as well. Please advertise this event at your schools, it’s open to current 5th graders and we accept the 1st 250 applications, it always fills up. Rockin With the Cops is a free event and a great night for the kids. It’s a pool party with a DJ, free pizza, games, raffle and a K-9 demo.
Officer Rick Veenstra
School Resource Officer
Arlington Heights Police Department
Spring is a busy time for 5th grade! Here are some upcoming events to note:
- Bears Mini Clinic- Tuesday, May 7 (1:30-3:00)
- 5th Grade Track Meet (optional for all 5th graders in the district)- Wednesday, May 8 (traditionally this starts around 4:00)
- 6th Grade Orientation at South- Wednesday, May 8 (6:30 pm)
- Robert Crown Life Begins Presentation- Friday, May 10
- 5th Grade Musical- Wednesday, May 29
- Field Day- Friday, June 7
- Last day of school- Monday, June 10